Monday, 20 June 2011

Our next year reading lists

I've already emailed the lists to you, but I suppose it's a good idea to post them here as well. Our literatura powszechna list is in Polish, because that's the way it's been given to us - and frankly, I see no reason why we should be reading Dante or Cervantes in English. ;) So, without further ado:

Literatura powszechna 2011/2012

  1. Epos o Gilgameszu
  2. Mity greckie
  3. Biblia (Księga Rodzaju, Księga Wyjścia, Apokalipsa św. Jana)
  4. Koran (wybrana księga)
  5. Arystoteles – Poetyka
  6. Dante – Boska komedia
  7. Szekspir – Hamlet
  8. Cervantes – Don Kichot
  9. Eco – Imię róży
  10. Bajki braci Grimm


English literature 2011/2012

  1. Mary Shelley – Frankenstein
  2. Oscar Wilde – The Picture of Dorian Gray
  3. Emily Brontë – Wuthering Heights
  4. Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre
  5. Charles Dickens – Great Expectations
  6. Thomas Hardy – Tess of the d'Urbervilles or Jude the Obscure
  7. D. H. Lawrence – Sons and Lovers
  8. James Joyce – A Potrait of the Artist as a Young Man or 2 short stories from Dubliners
  9. Joseph Conrad – Heart of Darkness
  10. Virginia Woolf – Mrs Dalloway
  11. Graham Greene – Brighton Rock
  12. William Golding – Lord of the Flies
  13. J. R. Tolkien – The Lord of the Rings
  14. Anthony Burgess – A Clockwork Orange
  15. Iris Murdoch – The Black Prince or The Unicorn
  16. Choose one:

  • Ian McEwan – Atonement
  • Martin Amis – Money or Night Train
  • Angela Carter – Nights at the Circus
  • John Fowles – The French Lieutenant's Woman

No Austen on the list, though. I'm very disappointed, to put it mildly. :/

3 comments:

  1. You can always propose Austen;) I will support you my dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet! :) - but I'm sure everyone would be very 'happy' to have a new book added to our already long list. ;) I won't risk their irritation. :P

    I think they had Austen last year - maybe the professor likes to change the list from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that I took "mity greckie" (for children, but really great edition) to my holiday and I started reading it to my son.
    And on the bus trip I watched " Becoming Jane". I have to admit that I love the film and I think I want to read some of Austen books after seeing that movie. Her life story was just so romantic and I believe that her novels are expressing all, but that.

    ReplyDelete