Thursday, 21 April 2011

Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday?

I've always known it's Holy Week, Palm Sunday and Good Friday, but I wasn't sure about Thursday, so I've just looked it up. Apparently, the name most commonly used in English is Maundy Thursday, but the Roman Catholic Church uses the "Holy Thursday" version. I've also found an interesting article on the days of Holy Week.

In other news, the preparations are going smoothly this year, so that's good. I know it's sometimes hard not to get lost in all this cleaning, cooking and baking, to the extent that we lose sight of what really matters in Easter (at least that's my experience). These days, I'll be doing my best to concentrate on the spiritual rather than on the mundane.

4 comments:

  1. I remember my last Easter was great. My family and I took part in all Catholic ceremonies of Paschal Triduum. After Easter procession on Sunday morning we went on foot (about 2 km) to my mother-in-law for breakfast (our car had broken down). The weather was perfect. This year is different. My husband is cleaning our flat, I`m studying or walking in the park, no spiritual experiences. I hope at least we take part in Easter procession...All the best for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one of my Easter (I was teenager), when I woke up at 5.30 for the Resurrection Mass on Sunday. It was the last time I went to Church soo early, as I'm not an early bird at all.
    If goes about Catholic Ceremonies of Paschal Tridum, I always attend them. I can not imagine Easter without doing so... Happy Holidays once more !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for remindindg me of spiritual `stuff`. We took part in Good Friday ceremony. It was great, as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't manage to go to church on Sat, but we went there on Thu and Fri, which is better than for a few previous years, so there's some progress. :)

    ReplyDelete