Thursday, 3 March 2011

King Firth



I've been a Colin Firth fan for a while. I wish I could say that as a fan, I've been with him through thick and thin and have been following his career closely for years, but it wouldn't be entirely true. I suppose I'm a somewhat typical example of his (female) fan. I fell in love with his Mark Darcy of the first Bridget Jones film about nine or ten years ago and I've been on a lookout for his films since.

First of all, I digged out the absolute classic - the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (which, accidentally, had been one of the main reasons why Helen Fielding wrote her BJ books at all). It hadn't been released in Poland back then, so I had to buy it from Amazon for probably six times as much as it costs here nowadays, but it was worth every penny I spent on it, so to speak. It's a wonderful adaptation in every respect.

I've always loved the haughty, upper-class, burning-with-repressed-passion kind of character CF seemed to be typecast as for a long time, but over the last few years he's done quite a few films which show clearly what a superb, versatile actor he is. The Golden Globe, BAFTA and the Oscar he's just received for his role as the stammering King George VI are only the official (and most welcome :D) recognition of that.

OK, I've been gushing long enough. ;) The reason I even started this post, though, is that I watched a very interesting interview with him online and thought it'd be a good idea to post it here. I hope the link will work: Colin Firth's BAFTA interview.

16 comments:

  1. Hello. I really like your blog design.
    It looks very romantic ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) I'm so glad you like it. And now I'm going to try to figure out who you are - I wonder if you know who I am? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an EnglishStudent, but I thought it is too boring, so I change it. Now I am a Queen.
    Do you already know who I am?
    I certainly managed to figure out who you are:)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, The Queen certainly sounds more impressive. And very regal. :D I do have an idea who you are. not 100% sure, but... :)

    What gave me away, btw? Austen? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess J.Austen was enough to at least be close to figure out who you're.Plus this post about Colin Firth makes me 99.9% sure :D...anyway I must admit that the blog really looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I wish I were more mysterious, but alas, no talents in this department. ;)

    Now I need to figure out who you are. I have a suspicion, but I need to confirm me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah. Mentioning Austen and the post about "North and South" revealed your identity.
    You were talking about this novel once on discussion class:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might've guessed. ;) And there's more to come about Austen and N&S, I'm afraid. ;) I'm pretty obsessed about both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know who you are Lizzy Bebnnet :D i think...:D
    and your blog is reaaly nice :)
    and Colin Firth is very good actor :)I like him too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I know. I'm all but mysterious. :P Now I need to figure out who you are, though. ;)

    Glad we share CF love. :) He really is a fantastic actor and I'm so happy about his Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how I feel about him.

    "My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep..."

    I think you told me you hadn't seen A Single Man. You should. It's beautiful and he was also nominated for that role.

    ReplyDelete
  12. :D CF is made of awesome.

    That's true, I haven't seen ASM. Guess you may imagine what's been keeping me, but then, I saw Brokeback Mountain and survived, so... ;) Plus I read your review a while ago and it was what made me first want to see it, so I think I'll go for it.

    I've been doing a sort of CF catch-up. Watched "Then She Found Me" - a good film, but not brilliant. Still, worth watching because of Colin. Oh, and I've also seen "Relative Values" - not particularly deep, but very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Relative Values? Never heard of it... and not sure that I should admit to having neglected researching Colin's entire filmography. Oh dear, what a horrible fan I am. ;)

    Off to IMDB.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There, there... you can always make up for your horrible neglect by scouring IMDB. ;) I still have A LOT of his films to catch up with.

    I feel like I should know it but I'm not sure - have you seen The King's Speech?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have I seen the King's Speech!!! LIZZY, of course I have. ;)

    A tad obsessed with it actually. So, so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could I even have asked. Bad, bad Lizzy. ;)

    I loved this film. Wish I could see it again soon but alas, no chance. 'Cause I'm busy, busy Lizzy these days. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete